Please note: The capstone project is only accessible for ID-verified MicroMasters Program learners who successfully obtained verified certificate in all MicroMasters Program courses
In this capstone project, you will focus on designing a sustainable biobased process. The emphasis of the project is on conversion. You will design a process from biomass to a finished product and discuss your choices for a catalyst, reactor type, organism and feedstock. You should be able to discuss your choices in the broad picture of sustainability while emphasising the conversion aspects of the process.
Complete your MicroMasters credential with the final written report in this capstone project.
You can only start the capstone project after completingall other courses in the MicroMasters Program in Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability with a verified certificate for every course.
- Biorefinery: From Biomass to Building Blocks of Biobased Products; Design an effective biorefinery to obtain valuable components from various biobased feedstocks
- Catalytic Conversions for Biobased Chemicals and Products; Design new (bio)catalytic conversion routes to use biobased feedstocks to their highest potential C
- From Fossil Resources to Biomass: A Business and Economics Perspective; ****Learn how to market and sell biobased products within a profitable business model
You will be able to:
- Design a sustainable biobased process.
- Choose an appropriate catalyst for the process and discuss the consequences of that catalyst on the process.
- Choose an appropriate organism for the process and discuss the consequences.
- Choose the appropriate feedstock for your biobased process and discuss the consequences.
- Calculate the mass balance of the process.
Module 1: Preparation
The first module will focus on preparing you for the final assignment. Provided are
some recap questions and additional reading material that can help you on your way
to writing a professional report. This module is open to all learners, including those only auditing the course.
Module 2: Capstone Project
The second module will present to you the case you will be working on, as well as
some additional guidelines. You will first submit an outline, then a draft report, and
lastly a final report. This module is only open to learners who signed up for a verified
certificate and completed the previous three courses with verified certificates.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes