This economics and finance course is an introductory survey of risk management concepts and techniques. Learners will review the role of risk regulation in financial markets, and learn how to identify and describe the various types of financial risk and their sources.
Upon completion of this course, participants will receive a certificate bearing the New York Institute of Finance (NYIF) name. A NYIF certificate is a valuable addition to your credentials, proving that you have acquired the work-ready skills that employer’s value.
For those who wish to go further, students can enroll in the other four modules to earn the complete Risk Management Professional Certificate, backed by the New York Institute of Finance’s 93-year history. As a final option, students may also opt to sit for the NYIF Certificate of Mastery Exam, resulting in the Risk Management Certificate of Mastery upon successful completion.
- Differentiate between financial risks and business risks.
- Identify and describe the various types of financial risk and their sources.
- Identity the real-world violations of the ‘standard model’ assumptions that make risk management value enhancing to the firm.
- Differentiate between risk measurement and risk management.
- Describe systemic risk as a negative externality.
- Describe the US regulatory structure.
- Lesson 1: The Standard Model
- Lesson 2: Rationale for Risk Management
- Lesson 3: Management vs Management
Module 2: Taxonomy of Risks
- Lesson 1: Overview: Types of Risk
- Lesson 2: Credit Risk
- Lesson 3: Liquidity Risks
- Lesson 4: Operational Risk
Module 3: Money and Capital Markets
- Lesson 1: The Financial System
- Lesson 2: US Regulatory Structures
- Lesson 3: JPM Oversight
- Lesson 4: UK vs EU Regulatory Structure
Module 4: Risk Concepts
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Loss Distribution
- Lesson 2: Components of Risk Model
- Lesson 3: Profit and Loss
- Lesson 4: Risk Measures
- Lesson 5: Quantiles
- Lesson 6: Value at Risk
- Lesson 7: Expected Shortfall
- Lesson 8: Historical Loss Distribution
- Lesson 9: Parametric VaR- t Approximation
- Lesson 10: Coherent Risk Measures
- Lesson 11: Critique of VaR
- Lesson 12: Stress Testing
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 3 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes