Learn the different sectors of the industry and the profession by looking at the nature of the industry, future trends, and opportunities. Understand the different sectors of the industry and the role of each participant, specifically the Owner, Designer, and Construction Manager.
The industry and profession in construction management is big business. The construction industry will continue to play a key role in society.
Opportunities in construction management are endless. The course covers some of the following topics:
- Characteristics that define the construction industry.
- Four major sectors of construction management projects.
- Current trends within the construction industry and role in society.
- Skills to lead construction, specifically the Owner, Designer, and Construction Manager, and key stakeholders.
This course concentrates on the people who fill the roles of owner, designer, and construction manager, and must understand the following:
- Responsibility and authority of the key construction management participants.
- How is the construction industry changing?
- Construction companies need leaders.
- Continuous quality improvement.
- The three forms of business organizations.
- Characteristics of an effective construction management leader.
- The art and science of organizing and leading a construction management project.
- How the life of a facility goes through phases starting out as an idea combined with money and a project is born.
- Understand planning, design, and construction tasks and how people are involved in the lifecycle of a building.
- Analyze the need for the facility and whether it is economically feasible. This is life-cycle cost analysis.
- Differentiate construction workers , their construction trade , and work experience.
- What is the employment growth in the construction industry?
- Differences in building construction projects and infrastructure projects.
- How to use project management techniques in construction management.
- Best practices in communication skills and field operations.
- Construction methods and materials.
- The role of civil engineering and other engineering disciplines.
- Improving your construction experience and benefiting from real world lessons learned.
Architects design the project. Construction management professionals build the project at the construction site. All parties need to work in harmony to fulfill the functions that must be performed.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of being a construction manager
- Distinguish the principal characteristics that define the construction management industry.
- Differentiate between the major sectors of construction projects.
- Current trends within the construction industry.
- Differentiate between the roles and responsibilities of key construction participants.
- Appraise the basic models for organizing project teams.
- Describe the principal tasks in the life cycle of a project.
- Various construction jobs and their individual career path
- Differences between general contractors and construction managers
- Understand the role of civil engineers, other engineers, and the architect in the construction process *
Week 1: Construction industry.
● Week 2: Construction project participants.
● Week 3: Organizing and leading the construction project.
● Week 4: Project chronology and lifecycle.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 4 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes